Return to the Maleny Garden Club History Homepage.

February 1953

A competition was held in naming 70 various flowers and shrubs. Mrs Burnett won with 67 and Mrs V Waddell 66.

March 1953

An interesting lecture was given by Mr A Lockwood on type and standard of flowers for judging.

April 1953

The first Floral Carpet was displayed.
[No photographic record of the carpet has been discovered.]

Noted that the nett proceeds were £95/15/- of which £60/-/- was placed to the Maleny CWA Funds. A border of pennies around the floral carpet contributed £3/-/-

September 1953

The first annual meeting and election of officers was held in Mrs Bergann’s garden at Witta.

Officers elected to serve until the AGM 1954:

    • Patron: Mr J H Skerman
    • President: Mr A Lockwood
    • Vice President: Mrs W Bergann
    • Secretary: Mr R C Burnett
    • Treasurer: Mr A Webster

October 1953

The second Ambulance Fair (sponsored by the Maleny and Districts Horticultural Society) held in the Diggers Hall Maleny on 18 September. Monies raised totalled £167/-/-

There were 24 classes of fruit and vegetables, not including eggs and Queensland nuts.
There were 14 seperate classes for Flowers, then another 20 classes for floral art.

Membership

The Society commenced with 6 members and the membership had now grown to 54.